The Chinese zodiac has been around for thousands of years and used to be the main astrological belief that Chinese people based their actions and predictions on. It is believed that the animals in the zodiac represents the characters of the people born under each zodiac sign. We will explore the following:
- What is Chinese zodiac?
- What is your Chinese zodiac animal?
- Who is your zodiac match?
- What are the personalities of the 12 zodiac animals?
What is Chinese Zodiac?
Chinese zodiac or astrology is made up of 12 animal signs that run on a 12-year cycle, i.e. each year is represented by an animal and is repeated after every 12 years. Traditionally, the Chinese zodiac always starts with the Rat, so the right order of the zodiac is: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Pig.
In 2017, the Chinese zodiac sign is Rooster.
What is your Chinese zodiac animal?
Look for your birth year in the chart below and you can find out what your zodiac animal is. However, if you were born in January or February, you’d need to check whether your birth date was before or after Chinese Lunar New Year.
• Rat: 2020, 2008, 1996, 1984, 1972, 1960
• Ox: 2021, 2009, 1997, 1985, 1973, 1961
• Tiger: 2022, 2010, 1998, 1986, 1974, 1962
• Rabbit: 2023, 2011, 1999, 1987, 1975, 1963
• Dragon: 2024, 2012, 2000, 1988, 1976, 1964
• Snake: 2025, 2013, 2001, 1989, 1977, 1965
• Horse: 2026, 2014, 2002, 1990, 1978, 1966
• Goat: 2027, 2015, 2003, 1991, 1979, 1967
• Monkey: 2028, 2016, 2004, 1992, 1980, 1968
• Rooster: 2029, 2017, 2005, 1993, 1981, 1969
• Dog: 2030, 2018, 2006, 1994, 1982, 1970
• Pig: 2031, 2019, 2007, 1995, 1983, 1971
Who is your Zodiac match?
Find your soulmate with the zodiac compatibility chart.
Compatibility can be determined by the Chinese zodiac. It is believed that each zodiac sign carries the attributes of its animal and people with that particular animal zodiac sign should have the attributes too. People often use the zodiac compatibility chart to see if their relationship will turn out well.
Best with: Dragon, Rabbit or Ox
Worst with: Goat, Horse, or Rooster
Best with: Rat, Snake or Rooster
Worst with: Dragon, Horse, Goat, Dog or Rabbit
Best with: Horse or Dog
Worst with: Snake or Monkey
Best with: Goat, Dog, Rat, or Pig
Worst with: Ox, Dragon, Rooster or Horse
Best with: Rat, Monkey or Rooster
Worst with: Dog, Ox, Dragon or Rabbit
Best with: Ox or Rooster
Worst with: Tiger, Monkey or Pig
Best with: Tiger, Goat or Dog
Worst with: Rat, Ox, Rabbit or Horse
Best with: Rabbit, Horse or Pig
Worst with: Rat, Ox or Dog
Best with: Rat or Dragon
Worst with: Tiger, Snake or Pig
Best with: Ox, Dragon or Snake
Worst with: Rabbit, Chicken or Dog
Best with: Tiger, Rabbit or Horse
Worst with: Ox, Dragon, Goat or Rooster
Best with: Goat or Rabbit
Worst with: Snake or Monkey
Personalities of the 12 Zodiac Animals
Rats tend to be smart, resourceful and versatile. They can adapt easily to new environment and are quick to take advantage of various opportunities. They’re curious beings that will try just about anything and can be good at anything too. In general, rats are lovely and kind people, but can sometimes be impolite to others.
• Lucky Colors: blue, gold, green
• Lucky Numbers: 2, 3
• Lucky Flowers: lily, African violet
Oxen are diligent and dependable with an honest nature. They’re hard workers who put high value on work and family. They tend to be ambitious and patient, with and are not easily distracted by external factors when they’re working on their meticulously laid out plans. Hence, oxen can be quite stubborn. They also have poor communications skills.• Lucky Colors: white, yellow, green
• Lucky Numbers: 1, 4
• Lucky Flowers: tulip, morning glory, peach blossom
Tigers are brave and competitive, with self-confidence and charm that make them well-liked by others. They can be unpredictable and impetuous, making them active workers. They boldly express themselves and can be authoritative, with traits that make them competent leaders. With their stubborn personality and irritability, they can be hard to handle.
• Lucky Colors: blue, grey, orange, white
• Lucky Numbers: 1, 3, 4
• Lucky Flowers: yellow lily, cineraria
Rabbits in general have likeable characters, being the gentle, kind and patient people that they are. They are also very faithful to their friends and families. However, they can be superficial, stubborn and overly-discreet; reluctant to reveal their minds to others. Since they’re also too cautious and conservative, they tend to miss good opportunities.
• Lucky colors: red, pink, purple, blue
• Lucky numbers: 3, 4, 6
• Lucky flowers: plantain lily and jasmine
- Dragon The dragon is thought to be the most powerful sign in the Chinese zodiac, despite being an imaginary animal. People born in this sign tend to be hotheaded and have sharp tongues. They’re also ambitious risk-takers who are not afraid of challenges, thus making them feel they could control everything. Most dragons are filled with enthusiasm and confidence, with a lot of courage, tenacity and intelligence• Lucky colors: gold, silver, grayish white
• Lucky numbers: 1, 6, 7
• Lucky flowers: bleeding-heart glory bower, dragon flowers
Snakes are the most intuitive animal sign. They act according to their judgments, determined to accomplish their goals. Being the symbol of wisdom, they are considered great thinkers, but ones that are reticent and very private. Therefore, they prefer to work alone and have their own space. Some snakes can be materialistic and like to own the best of everything.
• Lucky Colors: black, red, and yellow
• Lucky Numbers: 2, 8, 9
• Lucky Flowers: orchid and cactus
Horses are the energetic, active ones of the zodiac animals. They are very social and like to be the center of attention, and they can be found easily in a crowd. With their quick wit and deftness, horses have no problem handling difficult questions/comments. However, horses can be a little self-centered and cunning and in general lack self-confidence.
• Lucky colors: yellow and green
• Lucky numbers: 2, 3, 7, and numbers containing them (like 23 and 37)
• Lucky flowers: calla lily and jasmine
Goats are thought to be calm, gentle people. They’re mild-mannered, shy and kind-hearted, with plenty of sympathy for others. While they seem like gentle people, they’re actually very tough with very strong inner resilience. They tend to be very creative and persevere well in their professional world. Most horses are reserved and quiet, preferring to be low-key even in a big group setting. Goats also like to spend money trendy things and enjoy the finer things in life.
• Lucky colors: green, red, purple
• Lucky numbers: 2, 7
• Lucky flowers: carnation, primrose
Monkeys are very likeable people; they attract others like magnets. They are also mischievous, curious and witty, a combination that makes them very naughty. They enjoy playing (pranks) but are well-meaning, though others may be offended by their actions. Monkeys have many interests and need a lot of stimulation. Their creativity and cleverness make them big-time opportunists, a factor that makes other people consider them as sly.
• Lucky numbers: 4 and 9
• Lucky colors: white, blue, gold
• Lucky flowers: chrysanthemum, crape-myrtle
Roosters tend to be talkative, outspoken and frank. They’re popular with others and enjoy the limelight, exuding their charm in any social setting and looking attractive at all times. However, they can be vain and boastful and expect to have all the attention when they are speaking, which is usually about themselves and their accomplishments. Because of this, they sometimes annoy the people around them. Despite this trait, roosters are very confident people who are hardworking and courageous.
• Lucky numbers: 5, 7, and 8
• Lucky colors: gold, brown, and yellow
• Lucky flowers: gladiola, cockscomb
Dogs have a high degree of loyalty and sincerity. They treat people who are important to them very well and will do everything for them. Considered as the amiable and kind ones, dogs are always ready to help others. It is, however, hard for dogs to communicate their thoughts and opinions well and they make people think they’re stubborn. They also have a tendency to think negatively and criticize sharply on things.
• Lucky numbers: 3, 4, 9, and numbers containing them (like 34 and 49)
• Lucky colors: red, green, and purple
• Lucky flowers: rose, cymbidium orchids
Pigs are thought to be generous and compassionate people. They will help anyone in need, but won’t likely to ask for help from anyone. They’re good problem solvers that can handle things calmly when there are troubles. With a great sense of responsibility and diligence, pigs always finish what they started and achieve their goals. Due to their naivety, pigs can be easily fooled.
• Lucky numbers: 2, 5, 8, and numbers containing them (like 25 and 58)
• Lucky colors: yellow, gray, brown, gold
• Lucky flowers: hydrangea and daisy